Sunday 24 November 2013

Six Month mark

As hard as it is for me to believe we have been here for six months already. The time has slipped by with incredible ease full of the mundane and the spectacular. As I reflected over the half year I am surprised at how much we have done and seen and how dreamlike it all has been. I came over here hoping that I could perhaps become some better version of myself, that all the culture and change would in some way develop some extraordinary maturity and grace. Although not totally abandoning the hope I will acknowledge that it seems that it will take longer than six months.  However as I peruse the memories of these days and weeks I feel that perhaps I have learned a couple things about myself and this place that I felt I would like to share with you all.

1. This country is easy to fall in love with.
Between the rolling country side, the ancient architecture, the history, and it's people there is very little not to love. It is no wonder that movies and books are inspired from those visiting, living and dreaming of this beautiful place. I am no exemption, I am inspired. Maybe not to great novels but to be better, to be changed by this place.

2. Things are just Things
Okay I admit it, I have said this before and have meant it to varying degrees but the reality is that I am far less attached to things. One thing about moving the way that we did is that you learn very quickly to evaluate the stuff we carry with us. Even with a house now fully furnished I have far less things than probably most other times in my life. I have found this liberating in a way, and I have also learned to truly appreciate the few things still left in my world. I am particularly found of a teal kettle that I splurged on simply because I loved the color. Every piece of furniture and decoration has been carefully chosen and put in place and then promptly reminded that it is not really important.

3. The value of good friends
I think that it is possible that when surrounded by all my family I took for granted all of my many friends. It was easy to turn to them in times of need and spend my spare time in their company, in times putting on the back burner beloved acquaintances. Since moving to a place where this is far from an option I have learned to appreciate the need for great friends. Since being here I have been embraced, welcomed, helped and guided all by people who I can't call family, instead I will call them loved. I would want all my friends in North America to know that I feel the same way about you despite my inadequacies at showing it.

4. At any age there things to learn about myself
I really thought I was the brave adventuring type, I believed that once a great adventure presented itself I would obviously leap into it with grace and dignity. This is possibly not a true fact about myself, a difficult thing to discover considering the adventure I took. Not as brave as I thought and not as good at adventuring as I had hoped, and still discovering more things that I didn't know about myself. It is somewhat disconcerting to be as old as I am and find that I really don't know myself at all. I am choosing, though, to see this as a challenge. I can still be whatever I want to be.

5. You never outgrow being a suck for your family
As I prepared to leave Canada I said many goodbyes to friends and family alike. As the time for actual departure drew nearer and nearer the reality of what I was doing hit me rather hard. In fact in the final moments on Canadian soil I found myself wrapped in the arms of my eldest brother with tears streaming down my face and thinking very seriously of climbing back into his van and moving back into his basement. Everyday I think of how far away my family is and wonder how I will possibly make it without them, sometimes questioning why I am not still hiding in the protective care of a big brother. Obviously that is not an option as I am almost a grown up, but it does remind me that I will always be the kind of girl who needs her family. 

Six months, that's a long time, imagine what I may be able to find when its a year or years. I think I have much to take away from all this, I hope that it will make me better, wiser. I will continue to share my journey with you and thank you for coming along with me.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing Jenn. I bet one thing you will find about yourself is that you are stronger than you think! Looking forward to hearing more about your British life! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said! I love your insight and wisdom. Thanks for keeping us up-to-date with your growth, progress, and adventures. We love you and miss you more than you know!

    ReplyDelete