Sunday 6 October 2013

Doctor Who?

I live with two, well three really, intense Doctor Who fans, I mean they are proper Whovians. Based off the title of any given episode they will very likely be able to give you a thorough run down of the entire hour in minute detail. My daughter is anxious to visit any venue where dressing like a companion or gender swap doctor would be totally appropriate. My son can't walk by any Doctor Who paraphernalia without stopping to check out the offering and every time one of their new magazines reaches stands he points out he hasn't got that one. Although my husband may be slightly more tame in his enthusiasm he also has favourite episodes and is often trying to put them on to help me see the true genius behind the show. As unconvinced as I have so far been I too am beginning to learn the lingo and know the actors who have played the Doctors and even most of the companions names. Despite not jumping on board this particular train I had no doubt that the perfect gift to give my son for his birthday was a trip to a museum focused solely on this British program.



His response to getting tickets to the 'Doctor Who Experience' was exactly what I had hoped for, and I am not convinced that my daughter and husband weren't equally excited. I admit that if someone hadn't mentioned to me long ago that such a place existed I am not sure I would have believed it. How could there be enough fans of this show to justify an entire museum dedicated to it?  


Once you enter the doors however you realize very quickly to subdue any derogatory comments you may have been inclined to express. Inside these walls he is a hero, he is beloved, he is an icon. Interestingly enough The Doctor also seems to appeal to the widest range of individuals you can imagine, from small children who are in terror of Daleks, to teenagers who come fully decked out in costume, to a much older crowd who may have been watching since it's original air date. Yes here, I was the outsider.




I can say that I couldn't help but be impressed by the immense detail that goes into creating all the sets and costumes, many of the actual props and clothing being stored in this Experience. If the presence of staff hadn't been so obvious I may have been tempted to pick them up for closer inspection or try on some of the fine garments that hung around the place.





With insights into how things were built and filmed, and characters in the show placed all around you it was hard not to get caught up a little in the mania that this program seems to instil in people.






If we are going to be totally honest I did not leave the museum a changed women, I did not rush home to watch Doctor Who. I have had moments of regret at taking them when I have to listen to the entire experience retold in a detail that would imply that I hadn't been there myself. I can say though that I learned to respect the show runners, I stand in new awe of the foresight that goes into constructing their sets and the craftsmanship that goes into every detail on the show. Is it cheesy, absolutely, but it has become beloved by millions through several generations so who am I to say anything. It was a cool place to see, I may even be willing to go again, enough said. 




1 comment:

  1. I don't get Dr. Who. I think I may have watched a couple episodes when I was like 10 yrs. old or so, but I don't know anything about the new shows. I see it is on Netflix but there are something like 96 episodes and it just seems daunting to go through them all to get into this movement. The museum looks interesting. I know of a few fanatical fans in my ward's YM and YW groups that would go crazy over visiting it.

    ReplyDelete