Sunday 15 September 2013

A word about Priorities

As you know we went on a couple very exciting holidays this summer. These trips required preparation in many ways, cleaning, laundering, and packing. In the final moments of getting ready for our  journey to Scotland, after checking the weather for the last time and deciding that we needed to be brisk weather ready, I collected the necessary items from the kids rooms. Imagine my surprise when I reached into my daughters drawer and pulled out three pairs of socks, that's it, three pairs was the entirety of her sock ownership. As we were going away for much more than three days, you can appreciate my annoyance at the lack of mention of the sock situation. She has had no problem asking for plenty of  "needs" since being here, including, I might mention, at least three pairs of boots. One would wonder in retrospect what she planned to wear in all these new pairs of footwear. Clearly it was time for me to give a lecture about priorities.


Of course this led to me organizing my thoughts on the subject and taking a good hard look at my priorities right at the moment. Admittedly I acknowledge that priorities can change, circumstances will affect what we value as the most important, and that's probably healthy. I will be honest though, as I evaluated my own "needs" currently some of the steam went out of my teaching opportunity with my daughter. We moved into the most woefully furnished flat I could imagine, so many of my past couldn't live with outs absent. These missing items are even more obvious as we now prepare to move into an unfurnished place. The list of furnishings and appliances grows longer and longer everyday and yet the few times we have entered a store that could help with this I have left empty handed or worse with decorative items that in a few weeks I may be without a surface to put them on.


My kitchen is lacking in so many things that I have been used to having, aprons, tupperware, cheese cutters, and a rolling pins to name just a few and yet what I feel most sad not to have is fresh flowers sitting on the small window ledge in the kitchen.


Before we can move into the new place we need a microwave, vacuum, beds and as this is my computer desk. my husband certainly argues that we could count that as a must have.



Despite this my latest purchase was not something for the house it was to book another trip. So okay daughter I have not been setting the best example. Perhaps somewhere between Canada and England something happened to my own priorities but I stand behind this, no more new boots until you have socks to wear in them.

2 comments:

  1. Ha! So awesome! Talk about setting an example. I just told my daughter she's not allowed to be grumpy, ...but I am! Haha! Ain't that how it goes sometimes....

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, all the things you love and put your time and money into is what makes your house a "home" and your time in your new surroundings filled with "memories" rather than monotonous days. To me that is an example worth following :)

    ReplyDelete