Sunday 9 June 2013

Birthday in Bath

Monday was my birthday and my husband surprised me by not only taking the day off work but by planning a trip to Bath for the two of us. This was a destination that was very near the top of my list of places I wanted to visit once in the UK, so he chose well. We hopped on the train and took the 29 minute commute to our destination. As the sun poured through the windows the day was already off to a promising start, and as we exited the station I suspect I fell in the love with the city in that moment. With the warm sun shining on us and no pressing time restraints we headed into the streets of Bath. Very nearly the first thing we saw was a little park just skirting the shops and housing area closest to the station. It looked so inviting that I was anxious to get down into it to take some pictures of the foliage alas the paying of an admission did deter us for the time but didn't stop me from leaning over and grabbing a shot or two.

As we moved on through the winding streets I couldn't help observing how European it all seemed and very likely looked a little star struck as I walked around gaping at all the houses, museums, churches and parks. Before long we came upon the Jane Austin Experience, greeted by a happy gentleman dressed in era appropriate garb, and of course we had to go in. You start your time there with a live demonstration from "Jane" telling you all about her life in Bath and what she did and where she lived while there. Then she takes you down to the little museum where you can see costumes from the movies based on her works and letters from of the stars of these films. You can watch a video all about here life and writing or read excerpts from her personal letters written to her family and experience her perspective of her life at the time.  Reading them made it easy to like her as a person and left you with a desire to read all her books, again. You end in a little gift shop that sells quills, books, and "I love Darcy" pins, and really who doesn't?



After we reentered the modern world we went to another area of interest, we know because our map said so, called "The Circus". Construction apparently started in 1754 and wasn't completed until 1768. I admit that I thought the area was very nice and seemed to be a very desirable place to live, but it appeared to me to be a small green space surrounded by three equal segments of houses in a circular fashion. They were pretty houses though.


We headed back down the hill into the shopping district, which also houses the Roman bath houses and Bath Abbey. We wandered into some of the shops, including a wonderful Christmas store, but mostly looked for someplace to stop for lunch. We finally stopped into the Bath Kitchen which from our table at the back of the restaurant looked right into the front door of the roman baths. As it was such a mild pleasant day the back doors the restaurant were thrown open and we were serenaded all through lunch by a guitar soloist standing right in front of the baths.

Following our lunch of possibly the best pasta and cheese sauce I have ever had we decided to tour Bath Abbey just up the block from the Roman Baths. 

The suggestion to do the 'tower tour' was made and accepted and we experienced the Abbey in a way that I couldn't imagine. They begin the tour by explaining that you are about to climb 220 stairs that ascend straight up the bell tower with a pause or two along the way. Not really one bothered by heights or steep climbs it never occurred to me that this was anything other than a new adventure, however after we reached our first stop at 120 of the steepest and windiest stairs I had ever experienced some of my enthusiasm had waned., despite the views from the first section of roof we crossed. In our first room of reprieve we learned all about the various ways that the bells are rung and got to visit the area that the clock was reached from.

We then had the rest of the journey up the tower to contend with and with another short pause in the room where the actual bells were hung we found ourselves on the roof with the climb behind us. It would be difficult not to marvel at the view and be taken aback by the splendor of the city itself, and for a few minutes I was caught up in this, convinced the trip was worth the destination. Shortly into this reflection though the unhappy thought of the descent crossed my mind and somewhat ruined the few minutes spent on the roof top. Once safely back on the ground floor I made the commitment to myself that I would more than happily take any visitor who wanted to see this remarkable building to see it, and would wait firmly seated in the chapel while they made the climb. As the chapel is filled with beautiful carvings, impressive stained glass and many hundreds of years of history I am sure I would even pass the time contently.



The rest of our time in Bath was used checking out the shopping and admiring the charm of the city. It was a bit sad when the time came for us to make our way back to the station and head home to Swindon. Thankfully the train is only a half hour journey and I can visit this place as often as I choose, and I plan to bring any friends or family who make the journey to see me to, to see this place.

2 comments:

  1. Seriously, what a dream. Now just to convince Joe that a trip to visit is a great idea. One day he will be a working man! One day! Honestly, what an awesome birthday! Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a dream come true! I would love to visit Bath and see all the Jane Austen touristy things. Have you had a chance to visit Alice's Shop in Oxford? This would be Aubrey's dream come true since she loves all things related to Alice in Wonderland. Here is the link: http://www.aliceinwonderlandshop.co.uk/
    Sounds like you had a delightful birthday! :)

    ReplyDelete