Tuesday 21 May 2013

We are still trying to get everything set up and stocked here at home which of course means that many things have not yet been purchased. Yesterday the kids and I walked to the grocery store so that I could pick up a few of the things I might need to do some baking. I have mentioned how much smaller the fridge and cupboard space is in our new house to anything I may previously been used to, this means far more frequent trips to pick up groceries. I tend to plan for about four days of meals and buy the groceries for these only and my fridge will be full and my pantry nearly so. This lead to some concern about how I would get baking supplies in the already tight space. Non the less the kids had a hankering for some rice krispie squares so away we went to the local Asda (which as far as I can tell is actually walmart but everything is branded Asda). I needn't have worried too much as it turns out as I am obviously not the only resident of this country to face these space problems. Bulk seems to be a foreign concept here, I know they have a costco somewhere, I think an hour or so away, but in the local grocery stores no such luck.

The cake box gives you a little perspective, this box is probably slightly larger than a cake box sold in Canada. This was literally the largest vanilla bottle, flour bag and chocolate chips I could find, in a Walmart. It will be nearly impossible to over indulge while over here as I will only be able to bake six cookies at a time! In fact if you look closer at the cupcake box you may note, despite its larger than Canada size it in fact contains mix for exactly six cupcakes.


Even if I steal more of these than everyone else that would mean a total of like three cupcakes. I will never be able to have a binge fest on home baked goodies. I suppose that the upside is I shouldn't gain any weight either, maybe I'll loose a couple of pounds even, especially when combined with the fact that I still won't drive and have to walk everywhere. Also I bought a pancake mix as we wanted some with fresh cut strawberries and whipped cream for supper and I mixed it up and realized pretty quickly that when they say pancakes they mean crepes. Oddly enough the pancake batter would also make popovers, same batter just cooked differently. Seeing this I added cinnamon  and vanilla and they actually turned out really yummy. So instead of our idea of pancakes we rolled them up with strawberries and cream and drizzled maple syrup over them. The kids devoured them.  We bought British grown strawberries and they had to be the most beautiful, red and yummy bunch of strawberries I have ever enjoyed. In fact despite the smaller size most of there food items are sold in, or actually probably because of it, the produce I have eaten here has been some of the freshest and best I have had.

I couldn't help it, I had to take a picture, look how pretty they are, and not one bad one in the whole lot.

2 comments:

  1. How sweet! Your strawberries look like little red jewels! I can't overemphasize how jealous I am of you with your fresh European produce, lush scenic vistas, and invigorating rambles through the countryside! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry Jenn, this one made me LOL! I know what you are saying, everything is small compared to what we get here, I was explaining to my co-workers yesterday about the washer and dryer being the same appliance. I do not think they believe me. You are correct that Asda is Wal-mart. Just smaller. Have you found a Tesco yet? They are pretty good. Enjoying your blogs.

    ReplyDelete